Monday 4th June 2018 9:57am | Latest News
Sometimes we forget what we learnt when we started playing bowls, etiquette or acceptable rules of behaviour, can be somewhat lacking at times.
The following may serve as a useful reminder: -
1. Dress correctly for all games.
2. When necessary, help set out the rinks, the bowls, the mat and other equipment.
3. Compliment your opponent on a good shot.
4. Admit a fluke with grace.
5. Stand still when a player is on the mat.
6. Do not talk or make a noise behind the mat when a player is about to deliver a bowl.
7. Remain behind the mat or behind the head when it is not your turn to play. Always remember that as soon as your bowl comes to rest, possession of the rink passes to your opponent.
8. Keep to your own rink. Do not become a wanderer and distract other bowlers. Walk down the centre of your rink when you are changing ends.
9 .Know the duties of your position in the team and abide by them.
10. On sunny days be aware of your shadow. Do not let it mask the jack nor permit it to fall in front of the mat when a player is about to bowl.
11. Try to avoid obscuring boundary pegs, rink numbers or rink markers.
12. When centering the jack, look at the player who delivered it, for directions.
13. Never criticise your opponent, the greens or your own team members. If you cannot say something positive, don’t say anything at all.
14. Pay attention to the game. Nothing can be more frustrating to your teammates than to have them feel that you are not giving your full attention and best efforts to the game by your lack of concentration. Save your socialising until after the game.
15. Always appear to be enjoying the game.
16. Stand well back from the head when drive shots are being played and warn others on adjacent rinks of the fact.
17. Greet your own team members and opponents at the start of the game and congratulate or compliment them at the end of play. Shaking hands before a match and at its conclusion is part of the tradition of the game.
18. Learn the Laws of the Game and abide by them.
19. Be a gracious winner and a good loser.
20. Help clear the bowls, the mats and other equipment.